Thursday

Veteran's determination rewarded with employment

Rashaun joined the Air Force in 2008 because he was confident that serving his country was something he could become passionate about. During his service, Rashaun served in Hawaii, Iraq, Turkey, Korea and Afghanistan.

Serving his country brought Rashaun purpose, and when he left the Air Force in 2014, he struggled to find his place in civilian life.

“When I was in the military, everything was laid out for me. When I got out, there was no instruction manual for how to live daily life. Without the structure I was used to in the military, it was a hard transition,” Rashaun said.

After leaving the Air Force, Rashaun lived in South Field, Michigan. He jumped around from different shelters as he found himself living on the streets. He remained homeless and unemployed for a year, despite his consistent efforts to get back on his feet and find a job.
     
“Employment was the biggest barrier I faced,” Rashaun said. “I thought I would be able to get a job after leaving the military, but it was much harder than I expected.”

Rashaun found HVAF when researching organizations that assist veterans. He moved to Indianapolis and entered the HVAF program last April, at which point he was connected with Case Manager, Kascha Koelling. At HVAF, Rashaun was provided with temporary housing at the Jackson property and he exhibited dedication and commitment within his job search.

“I went to every job fair and took every opportunity that HVAF gave me during my search for employment, and I was able to get a job after 1 month,” he said.

Because of his determination and hard work, Rashaun has been working as a full-time security guard at Securitas for the past month. He enjoys the structure of his duties on the job because it reminds him of his past work in the military. He is thankful for his job that is keeping him busy, and he is currently working with HVAF staff to find permanent housing.

“Rashaun continues to remain focused on improving his life and becoming stable after all of the hardships he has endured,” says HVAF Case Manager Kascha Koelling. “He has lost a lot after coming home from his deployment, so he hopes to rebuild his life and make it better.”