Monday

Easier job access for veterans

While the country is climbing out of recession, there are a disproportionate number of military veterans still looking for jobs. HVAF has partnered with GTECH Indiana to give formally homeless veterans new and powerful tools as they seek new jobs and opportunities to return to self-sufficiency.

GTECH Indiana, in partnership with the Hoosier Lottery and Microsoft, will cut the ribbon for the second GTECH Indiana Computer Lab at an HVAF property on February 25 at the Donald W. Moreau, Sr., Veterans House where 39 veterans call home.

The Technology Lab will benefit veterans and their families by providing them a means to conduct job searches, apply for employment online, complete online courses, and contact the Veterans Hospital and Veterans Administration sites for assistance.

Tyrone F.
The new technology lab will help veterans like 51-year-old Tyrone F., a 6-year veteran of the U.S. Army Reserves who came to HVAF in February of 2013 with an addiction to alcohol but a willingness to beat homelessness. Access to the first GTECH lab at HVAF helped Tyrone recently secure a job with the Westin Hotel Indianapolis.

“I used the computer lab for a number of different reasons in addition to job search,” says Tyrone, who was hired as a security officer. “I have my renewed my license, birth certificate, and completed the online process to receive my high school diploma. And I was able to create a new email account to get in touch with employees, use a flash drive and update my resume.”

“I was able to tap into so much having easier access to the Internet and it’s also helped me stay focused on my sobriety,” Tyrone says.

GTECH Indiana, in partnership with the Hoosier Lottery, launched its first GTECH Indiana Technology Lab at HVAF in August 2013.

For more information on the ribbon cutting, please RSVP to Debra Des Vignes, VP of marketing and communications at 317-333-8976 or ddesvignes@hvaf.org.