Monday

College Park to serve meals to homeless vets

When David W., 67, an Army veteran, returned from military service he felt relieved. But, as he tried to move forward after serving in the Army, difficulties confronted him.

“My life was chaotic before coming to HVAF,” David says. “I was renting an apartment downtown and shuffled through roommates and was dealing with alcohol abuse, which left me homeless several times.”

“My roommates at the time didn’t want to come along with my sobriety and I was disconnected with my family and friends,” David explains. “But I found my way, and HVAF is supporting me with the help of compassion from College Park.”

David was one of 47 HVAF veterans who enjoyed a holiday dinner provided by the College Park Church Military Ministry, a group committed to serving veterans. The Ministry is in its third year providing and serving monthly meals at HVAF’s Warman property.

“We first learned of HVAF through Arne Pederson who serves on the Board of Directors, and we started to help because many of us, as veterans ourselves, understand the struggles and how difficult it can be,” says Jan Gaidis, who serves as Meal Coordinator.

“We saw a need to establish a military ministry at our church as a way to encourage and support these men and women as they transition home,” says Gaidis.

Now, month after month, HVAF vets like David can continue their return to self-sufficiency over hot meals, like ham and scalloped potatoes, while praying and talking with College Park Church volunteers.