Tuesday

Mentor from past leads veteran to become positive influence

Paul D. Shafer, president of the Packer Collegiate Institute, once said that there is no greater influence for a person than the life of another person worth emulation. James S., 52, U.S. Army veteran, saw this positive influence in the men in uniform who used to visit his high school when he was growing up. The examples of these officers inspired him to join the Army after high school in 1978. James never had an older brother or a particular mentor, but he would soon find one in Sgt. James Pettaway in 1980.

James S., HVAF veteran
“He took me under his wings. He wasn’t afraid to tell me, ‘do this or don’t do this.’ He was a true mentor.” Sgt. James Pettaway. always reminded James S. of the consequences of his actions, and even showed him little tricks to help him stand out from his peers. “One thing I remember is the boots. He showed me how to polish them and then burn the polish a little bit with a lighter before shining them. They would shine so bright you could shave in them.”

Unfortunately, not everyone he met was a positive influence. Peer pressure and the desire of making friends caused alcohol to become an addiction as James’ time in the US Army came to a close. When James got back home, he held several odd jobs and bounced around from place to place until coming to Indianapolis to live with family in 1998; however, that couldn’t last forever. By 2012, James was homeless. His alcohol consumption had become a lifestyle. “As a result of my drinking and addiction I needed HVAF…I knew it would be a place where I could get help. I got my second chance.”

HVAF provided not only a place to live and a place to get help, but also something James had not had since his service; a mentor. “My case manager has been an influence…he helped me get a good perspective and look at myself in a different way.” Now James hopes he can be an example for his fellow veterans. “I see a lot down here at HVAF. It’s not a dress rehearsal and veterans should be serious about this chance to get their lives back. I like when I see some guys who are working more seriously.” James’ influence goes beyond HVAF. He is currently working towards a degree in Criminal Justice at Indiana Tech and recently got a job in security in July. “I think you shouldn’t just go for an average job. If you want to be a winner, push yourself. Sacrifice where it hurts if you want to be better.” Hopefully we can all learn something from James’ story and message.